Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Beef: Gas Prices

I hate to be another person complaining about gas prices these days. It's sort of like complaining about the cold weather in Chicago. Asking, "Is it cold enough for you?" may get you shot.

It's interesting how times (and gas) have changed since I first started driving. Going for a ride with friends when I was sixteen was how we spent some of our beautiful spring evenings - choosing the long and scenic route, taking in everything that just sprung to life after a long and grey winter.


Now I calculate every turn, every stop, every errand. I think we are way passed the point of conservation. We have depleted HALF of the world's oil supply, and with the amount of cars on the road now (as opposed to when the first Ford was introduced), I fear we are going to go through the other half before we are able to find an alternative fuel source.


And I will see that in my lifetime.


There's only so much I can do in my home to conserve gas. I really don't use my heat (at this time of year, I don't have to). My appliances are electric... but it doesn't matter if I choose to line-dry of machine-dry my clothes, it doesn't fill my car's gas tank.


If you have yet to see the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" I suggest you rent it.


On a side note. Why, when I do a Google Image search of "gas pumps," I get this as one of my first pictures:


Don't stare at it too long. It might eat your soul.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Esta una Chupa Cabra!!!!!

AYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!