
When I go back home and meet new people, no one has any idea that I'm on a morning radio show. Eventually conversation will flow to "So what do you do?" followed by the question, "So what name do you use on the air?"
Mine. I use my name.
It may not catch your ear like "Johnny Road-Rash" (yes, it's hyphenated since his mom remarried) but it works. Because it's mine.
This morning, our meteorologist revealed that his middle name is Foster. True story. Instead of going by "Foster Smith," which is far more memorable (and cool!... I mean "Foster" wears a smoking jacket, drinks fine scotch and winks a lot), he chose to go with Jeff Smith. Kudos. This new found information sparked a conversation about on-air DJ names. Rick used to work with a part-timer who went by "Axel Hammond" - yes, Guns N Roses meets Metallica. I joked about being called "Clarissa Dynamite" from now on.
Now, everyone has heard how to find your "porn" name. I believe it's the name of your first pet and the first street you lived on... ie; "Goldie Elm" or "Heidi Spring." Mine isn't that cool. "Smokey Rural Route 12"... doesn't seem to have a ring.
So I'm going to start a new game: How to find the name of your on-air persona. The first name is the name a character you remember on tv from your childhood, and a synonym for danger, destruction, or sexy.
Introducing, for the first time on radio, my new radio persona... "Punky Bane."
2 comments:
My porn name would be Browny Thomas (ho hum). I liked watching Emergency when I was a kid, I also like Batman, but we won't go there. So here's my On-Air name.
Roy Danger
My middle name is Wayne. So I always thought if I made it in show business I'd be Ron Wayne. (Perhaps get cofused for John Wayne's kida a get more roles!)
Tudy Turnback!
And I miss you!
Post a Comment